Remember that when you leave this Earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given, a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage. -St. Francis of Assisi

Monday, August 6, 2012

An unexpected visit to the Veterinarian

I had 2 1/2  days off work and made reservations to camp at Ridgway State Park on Sunday and Monday.  I had planned to go hiking today with Mark and Bobbie in Ouray. (click on their name to check out their blog, beautiful pictures of hiking in the mountains)


I guess my "Kit Kat" didn't want to go camping.



On Saturday, I noticed that she was not eating and she was not moving around much. She is around 17 years old and I thought maybe she had kidney problems which is what most older cats get.

She was still drinking some water and using the litter box, so I did not think it was necessary to call an emergency vet on the weekend.

I made an appointment for Monday morning at the Cortez Adobe Animal Hospital about 9 miles from Mesa Verde.  The vet examined her and felt a 'mass' in her belly. The vet did some blood tests and x-rays.

The good news is that the blood test showed her kidney, liver and thyroid functions are normal. They could not get a reading on the CBC, so they sent that out to a lab.  

The bad news is that she a 'stone' or something in her bladder. And there is some type of 'mass' on her intestines.  They had to stick a needle in her bladder to get a urine sample, no crystals in the urine, but there is some bacteria.  They gave her an antibiotic shot that will last for 2 weeks, easier than trying to give her pills or liquid.  She may need another antibiotic shot in 2 weeks.


 lying on her side
white spot on bladder




lying on her back
something on the left side
on her intestines


Tomorrow, I will drive to Durango, for an ultrasound test of her abdomen, so we will have a better idea of what we are dealing with.

Then I may have to decide on surgery for her.  I hate having to decide the fate of my animals.  If she was a child, I would say go ahead and do everything that is necessary.  I feel I will probably do this for Kit Kat, too.

They say she does not look or act like a 17 year old cat, and since she does not have kidney disease, she is actually in pretty good health other than these things in her abdomen. Everyone took excellent care of her today.


9 comments:

  1. It is so hard to know what to do for these fur kids of ours. Trying to decide if the surgery will cure the problem, if it'll be too hard on her. Be sure to keep us updated on Miss Kit Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jim and Sandie. If the surgery is too hard on her at her age, it is best to let her go I think. Sometimes the surgery is too traumatic for the older pets. I'm sorry you both are having to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there twice. It is hard.

    Get a second opinion before putting her thru surgery. If it is something that is not hurting her, you might want to let it be. Only you can make the decision for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It will be hard making any decision... :( xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear Kit Kat isn't well. Hope all goes right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry to hear about your Kit Kat..hope she has a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, am sorry you and Kit Kat are going through this. The good news is that she is so healthy otherwise. If you decide on surgery, she may have a good chance of getting through it with no issues. And if you decide against it, she might still have a good life. Hard decision for you. Maybe after the ultrasound is done you will be in a better position to decide what to do. Good luck, and my good thoughts will be with you and Kit Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw... poor Kit Kat...! I had a cat for 18 years... jeeeez! I loved that animal.. I was such a sissy wimp when it came to her pain and well, for that matter my kid too... BUT... surgery at her age?

    I guess after the evaluation of what kind of life she has left along with recovery time from surgery ... would determine the procedure... for me.

    don't envy you, Teri ... tough decision

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor little Kit Kat. End of life decisions are so difficult to make for our pets. I wish both of you the best. Please keep us all updated.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Drake Tax Software

Overnight stays in these states:

Overnight stays in these states:
It is the sandstorm that shape the stone statues of the Desert. It is the struggles of Life that form a person's character ~ Native American Proverb