Remember that when you leave this Earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given, a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage. -St. Francis of Assisi

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Garmin GPS

There was some frustration at first with getting a cord to fit, but then my Garmin Nuvi 1350 GPS was easily updated.




I purchased this GPS a few years ago to replace a smaller Garmin GPS, the older unit had a small screen that was difficult to read. I do not need glasses to drive, but I do need to wear reading glasses.

This new GPS is much easier to read while driving and it came with free lifetime map updates. I checked the Garmin website and then had to find a USB cord to fit the Garmin. I had a cord in my "bag of power cords" that was marked GPS - but it did not fit - must be from the old GPS.




Finally after trying several cords, I discovered that the cord to my Fujitsu scanner fit the Garmin. The Garmin website has an express update button. Very easy to use, plug in, hit the button and let it do its thing. The only problem is that I did not have a microSD card handy, so I had to choose the option to include only a portion of the US map on my GPS. No problem, I just picked the area I will be in and can change or update again later.

I will be leaving San Antonio on Monday to head north, I usually pre-program my anticipated stops. I will put in the addresses of RV parks I want to stay at, with a few extras in case I change my mind or don't like the looks of a park when I arrive. I will also put in the addresses of several Visitors Centers along the way. 

If there are National Parks or National Historic Sites or other sites of interest along the way, I program in this information, too.

I may not stop at all these locations, but it makes it easier to just to look in the "favorites" section of the GPS and hit go. 




4 comments:

  1. I do all my trip plotting on the computer and then print it out. Not that we ever stick to those plans but it does give me some ideas. Then I use the GPS on my phone to get us where we want to go. Works so far. Have fun on your drive north.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got it up and working! Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rely pretty heavily on my Garmin truckers GPS. Height restrictions are my biggest worries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use my GP much but I am sure happy to have it when I do need it. Enjoy your journey and of course always be safe.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Drake Tax Software

Overnight stays in these states:

Overnight stays in these states:
It is the sandstorm that shape the stone statues of the Desert. It is the struggles of Life that form a person's character ~ Native American Proverb