Remember that when you leave this Earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given, a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage. -St. Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 3 - Leaving Yellowstone - heading back to work




Friday - May 30, 2014
Time to get back to work, to help fund my travels.


It was cold this morning, 36 degrees. I didn't get moving as early as I wanted. The sun was shining and I was waiting for things to warm up a little.



The only stop I made on the way out of the park today was at the Fishing Bridge Visitors Center. This is an older, log building with exhibits of animals and birds. Walk out the back door of the Visitors Center and there is Lake Yellowstone, with a sandy beach.  I walked along the beach for awhile, taking pictures then sat at a picnic table for a little while. I will definitely go back to spend some time on this beach during the summer.


This icy lake reminded me of the Great Lakes, except for the mountains in the background. 

Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone to the East Entrance


I stopped for a few minutes at Lake Butte Overlook




The drive to the East Entrance is very scenic, a lot of thermal activity, there are steam vents all along the side of the lake. Then you cross over Sylvan Pass with lots of switchbacks on the way down. Just put it in 2nd gear and coast down, with clear roads and some snowbanks lingering on the side of the road.

After reaching the park gate, it is another hour driving through the Shoshone Forest and Buffalo Bill State Park, then passing by Buffalo Bill Dam and through some tunnels and finally into Cody. Total drive from Fishing Bridge Campground to Buffalo Bill Village was about 2 1/2 hours.




The great thing is that I didn't use much fuel - traveling from 7783' to 4997'.



1 comment:

  1. The trees, mountains and lakes are making me home sick for my second home up north.
    Happy for you to have been able to do this trip.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Drake Tax Software

Overnight stays in these states:

Overnight stays in these states:
It is the sandstorm that shape the stone statues of the Desert. It is the struggles of Life that form a person's character ~ Native American Proverb