Remember that when you leave this Earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given, a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage. -St. Francis of Assisi

Friday, September 14, 2012

Bear Creek Trail

This weekend is the perfect weather for camping and hiking.

On Friday morning, I headed towards the San Juan National Forest. I had to stop for propane and gas, and then picked up a few things at Walmart.

I stopped in the town of Dolores for a couple of hours, walking around the town and checking out some of the shops.

If you are ever passing through this way, you should stop at the Dolores Grocery Store.  It has a great selection of organic, local produce and other organic and gluten free foods.  They have a refrigerator case full of freshly prepared foods and I picked up some items for lunch. I plan on going back on Sunday morning, on my way back to Mesa Verde, to do my weekly grocery shopping.



Bear Creek Trail (FST 607) Starting elevation 7,960 Ending elevation 11,200
Trail length one-way: 12.5 miles        Difficulty: moderate

From Dolores on Highway 145, travel east for 22 miles.  The trailhead is clearly marked on the highway and begins approximately 1/4 miles east (upstream) from the confluence of Bear Creek and the Dolores River.  The trail traverses the entire length of Bear Creek, all the way to the headwaters where it intersects the Sharkstooth Trail.



I was not going to walk the entire trail.  It was almost 3pm by the time I reached the trailhead. I decided to hike for about an hour before going on to the campground for the night. I only walked 1.6 miles in that hour.  The beginning of the trail is very steep with many switchbacks and I was stopping to take a lot of pictures (110).



The beginning of the hike is mostly Aspen Trees, beautiful - even though the leaves had not turned yellow yet.



As I am typing this, I can hear the soothing sound of the Dolores River in the background. I am camped alongside the river.



I am hoping to do a longer hike on Saturday.

14 comments:

  1. I am particularly fond of pictures of trees. Your photos are magnificent. Happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Aspens. I have them all around me here and Of course in the higher elevations.
    Great pictures. Enjoy your hike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I told you before, Dolores is one of my favorite places and I was hoping to return this past summer. A blown tire and $2,500.00 damages sort of changed my plans, maybe next year. Enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos of the aspens. Sounds like this hike and camping trip will be a wonderful one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks on the heads up about the store. We hope to get to that area in a year or two.
    Great trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful ... I can hear the sounds and love love love the smells of the forest

    Aspens are just .. I dunno an adjective -- slender and mellow and willowy and sound so good standing amongst them

    Thats quite a trail ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a very nice hike. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love digital cameras? There is no way you could have afforded to take that many pictures with those old film things we used to use. The Aspens are beautiful even without the color change yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty hike. Do you ever get nervous about solo hiking?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your header picture and the aspens. Really beautiful! And thanks for the grocery recommendation. Sounds like my kind of place.

    A campsite by the river sounds absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Aspens any time of year. I think they are absolutely beautiful trees.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a very beautiful place. I am wondering if I am ever going to get out of here and be able to travel as I want to do.....

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Drake Tax Software

Overnight stays in these states:

Overnight stays in these states:
It is the sandstorm that shape the stone statues of the Desert. It is the struggles of Life that form a person's character ~ Native American Proverb