Remember that when you leave this Earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given, a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage. -St. Francis of Assisi

Friday, February 24, 2017

At the Fair - Mother Earth News

October 22-23, 2016       Topeka, Kansas


MOTHER EARTH NEWS is the "Original Guide to Wiser Living."

I now subscribe to the magazine via my Kindle.


The Mother Earth New Fair was centered around more than a dozen stages, inside and outside, with the speakers changing every hour or two.

There was no way to listen to all of the speakers in 2 days.  I do not have any interest in livestock and I wasn't planning on setting up my own sawmill,  I could cross those off the schedule.

I circled one or two speakers for each session and would decide later which ones to sit in on.

There were a few authors that I recognized and the author of a blog I follow, and I knew I did not want to miss those.



Subjects I listened to over the 2 days included:
herbal medication
healthy eating
organic gardening
making a living off your land
tiny house building
no-tilling soil management
attracting wildlife to your yard
sustainable communities


There was a huge bookstore in the center of the exhibition hall, I looked but I did not buy any books, hoping to find used books while I travel, or read them on my kindle or get them at the library. I was tempted to purchase the thumb-drive loaded with many years of back issues of the magazine, but decided to wait until I actually owned some property.


My purchases were organic basil and sunflower seeds and herb tea blends.



As with any fair or trade show, there were many vendors and many freebies.
I went home with these free items 


Food is always part of any fair or gathering. Several of the vendors offered samples - I sampled Coconut Bliss Ice Cream, Vegan burgers and breakfast patties, salad dressings, kombucha, elderberry syrup, and blender soft serve fruit "ice cream".



There were several food trucks outside, many of them offering up organic and/or vegan food. I chose some items from a food truck and walked back to the RV to eat lunch and take a break. 

I had purchased a 2 day fair pass, so I had plenty of time to see everything at the fair.


Around the Fair
 view of the State Capitol from the parking lot



ExpoCentre building / looks like a Tornado Shelter


Art Deco Building at the fairgrounds
The earliest recorded event on this site dates back to 1871. A small, local fair quickly grew to be the largest in the state. Just nine years after its inception it became known as the Kansas State Fair, featuring a wide variety of exhibitions. Fairgoers saw the newest farm equipment and the best agricultural exhibits in the state, as well as the finest livestock.

During the last decades of the 19th century the original grandstand was erected. However, it was not until 1909 that funds were appropriated for the building of permanent structures.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *

I am really happy that I decided to take this detour and attend the fair.  It was good to take the time to learn more about something that I have thought about for a long time.  I love to travel, but I really feel that having a place to grow food and flowers has a stronger pull on my heart than the love of traveling.

Leaving my home state and traveling in the RV is/was all about discovery. Who am I after a major life changing event? What is it that I really want to do with the rest of my life? Where is the best place to have a homebase, if any?

There are still so many places that I want to visit. Alaska is still at the top of the list, along with the east coast - Maine, Boston, etc. I have not been to the Pacific Northwest yet or to the southern parts of Arizona.  If I purchase a piece of property, then a "camper van" may be in my future, so that I can continue to explore around the country. 

I can't imagine "retiring" and just sitting around.  I started my 1st business when I was around 26 years old. Before that I sold handcrafts at craft shows in my neighborhood. I was always busy making something, growing something or traveling somewhere.  I suppose I will always be a tax preparer, also. I stepped away from that for a few years, but went back to it - it's part of who I am.


Everyone has a "calling" or two?  What is yours?




I've recently read that there is a trend with retirees wanting to stay in urban areas, with convenient access to services and entertainment.  A walkable community with a good public transportation system.




I would like to attend this event in 2017
but I'll be at work doing tax returns.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun day! I love fairs, but seldom go to any. Maybe there will be some in my future. I'm glad you're posting again, you always have interesting adventures and you write so well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Drake Tax Software

Overnight stays in these states:

Overnight stays in these states:
It is the sandstorm that shape the stone statues of the Desert. It is the struggles of Life that form a person's character ~ Native American Proverb