Remember that when you leave this Earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given, a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage. -St. Francis of Assisi

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Texas State Parks - Dinosaur Valley

January 3, 2017

Abilene State Park to Dinosaur Valley State Park - 143 miles




"Long ago, dinosaurs left footprints in the mud at the edge of an ancient ocean. Today, you can walk in their tracks in the bed of the Paluxy River."






This was not a good time of year to visit the park, too much cold water in the river for dinosaur hunting.

"Dinosaur tracks are in the riverbed and are not always visible.  Trails may be closed due to wet conditions or weather"

With the wind and cold weather, I didn't want to stay outside, but I managed a few short hikes along the river and through the prairie. A few of the trails went down to the river - across the river - and continued on the other side.  I was not able to continue across due to the fast moving cold water.



I think this would be a great park, for a family visit, during the summer. The kids can splash around in the river and search for dinosaur tracks. At the entrance to the state park highway, you can stop at Dinosaur World with life size dinosaurs and fossil dig sites.






The campsites were large and I had a nice view of the river at the back of my site. 

If you will be spending more than a week in the Texas State parks, in a one year period, the State Parks Pass is a good deal.  I paid $70 for a pass, good for one year from date of purchase.  The pass gives you admission to all of the parks for day use and you will receive 4 discounts on a 2nd night in a campground.  Most parks average $20 a night and some parks have weekly rates.


Texas charges the daily admission on top of the campsite fee, so that is what makes the park pass a good deal.  I sometimes stop at the parks, without camping overnight.  The day pass rates can be up to $7.00 per car, per day. I use the pass on weekends when I am working at the tax office, there are 5 parks within 1 1/2 hours of where I am working.








Thanks for shopping with my Amazon link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Drake Tax Software

Overnight stays in these states:

Overnight stays in these states:
It is the sandstorm that shape the stone statues of the Desert. It is the struggles of Life that form a person's character ~ Native American Proverb