Remember that when you leave this Earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given, a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage. -St. Francis of Assisi

Friday, September 23, 2011

Generators

Last post I wrote about not liking to use the generator.

Before I purchased the RV, I read about the requirement for a minimum amount of fuel.

I usually fill up my gas tank when it's around 1/2 tank, a few times it went a little below a half tank. Some generators run off propane, I looked at the label on my generator, it says "gasoline". I'm not sure if I need 1/4 or 1/2 tank to start it.  It appears that you would want near a full tank, what if you have a 1/2 tank and run the generator in the evening, turn it off and want to turn it on again in the morning, you won't have 1/2 tank of fuel anymore because you used some for the generator, so it probably would not start???

When I get close to the area for my overnight stay, I usually fill up my gas tank before going to the campground. That way, I won't have to stop in the morning and I can start the next day with a full tank of gas.

I do not remember how much gas I had when I arrived in South Padre last June (when the generator would not start).

I know I should be running it for a short time each month, I have read all of the information about it.

I have also read all of the warnings in the manual.  Close all roof vents, close the windows on the side of the RV that the generator is on. Make sure the generator exhaust is not close to another RV or building.
And on and on........  I am very sensitive to the fumes and noise.

I understand that I may need/want to use the generator at some time. If I am unable to park overnight with electricity, I may end up being thankful that I have a generator.

Or, I can do without electricity for one night.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   * 

I think I will try to make peace with the generator.

I need to go for an oil change next week, I will ask them to check out the generator for me. I will read more about the monthly maintenance that I need to do to keep it running.

9 comments:

  1. Monthly operation is a good plan. Keep it in shape for emergencies and for future resale. No sense in hauling around a big dead weight if you let it deteriorate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having it checked out with your next oil change sounds like a good plan. I don't close my vents when I use my generator - I don't remember reading that, I'll have to check. I like to keep the vents open to make sure there's fresh air for me and Katie. I close them at night if it's cold or we're traveling, but otherwise they are all open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not exercising the generator for at least an hour a month under a full load (AC) was a very costly mistake I made when I first hit the road. It is now on my calendar every month.

    In my rigs, the generator will stop working at the 1/4 tank of gas left level. It should use less than one gallon of fuel for every hour running. That will give you an idea of how long you can use it before it shuts down. I've always been told that generators are made to run...use it or loose it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Judy says, your genny will not suck your gas tank dry. It will stop when your gas tank gets to 1/4 full. Had it happen to us as we were travelling on the highway looking for a gas station and it was hot so was running the genny for the A/C. And I too have read/heard that you must exercise your genny. We tend to run it when travelling and it's hot. That way we can run the A/C's. Never, never run it when you go to bed. There is a pipe that you can buy at CW that attaches to the exhaust pipe and extends well over your roof. We found that this works very, very well, if you need to run it while camping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, I agree with everybody else. Keep that generator in good shape in case you need it. And it definitely needs to be run with a load on it at least once a month. It will shut down before you run out of gas, in most cases when you hit 1/4 tank so that you are not stranded somewhere without fuel. We only ran ours in the evenings for a couple of hours and then in the morning so I could have toast. Sure is nice when you're boondocking out in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teri, you go girl! I am also sensitive to fumes and ours exits on the side of the rig, I am contemplating modifying it so it goes out the back but moisture could build up then so it's a toss up about what I want more...

    Anyway, you got the right idea. :)

    Good luck!

    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was told to close any window or vents near the exhaust to prevent fumes in the rig. But like I said I have never used it but run it once in a while. Best bet it like you said ask the mechanic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have one I've never used. Find them too noisy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can get a gen-turi for your generator. It's a hose stack that you can add to the generator pipe & it's safe to use. It has a special vent opening for the pipe, so be sure to use that instead of other options. But your generator can be safe if used properly. In Texas, if you are boondocking, you NEED to run the genny all night because of heat! This time of year, it's better & you can turn it off at night though. And yes, you are right, all windows, doors & vents should be closed or even breezes can blow the fumes back into your rig while it's running. Also be sure that your carbon monoxide detector is working! That's most important while running your genny.

    And yes, as others have said, it's designed to cut off at 1/4 tank. I used my genny 24/7 3 days in a row in Houston & didn't have a problem running out of gas. I had around 1/4 to 1/2 a tank left still. AND most important, shut it off every 8 hours & check the generator oil level. If you run low on oil, it will also cut off. Always be sure that you carry generator oil with you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Drake Tax Software

Overnight stays in these states:

Overnight stays in these states:
It is the sandstorm that shape the stone statues of the Desert. It is the struggles of Life that form a person's character ~ Native American Proverb