Remember that when you leave this Earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given, a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage. -St. Francis of Assisi

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Breaking Free


What is my calling in life? Do we all have a calling in life?

I've been working more this tax season than I have in the past 3 years. I sold my tax practice in January of 2008. I have slowly been increasing the amount of tax work I am doing every year. It's seasonal and I really do enjoy the work, and since its cold and snowy and rainy with no sunshine, I may as well be making a little money because I can't do much outside.

I know I don't want to be in the Midwest for winters anymore, and I want the freedom to travel around.

I have been telling everyone around me about my plans to sell my house and get an RV and travel, I mention workamping at the National Parks and of plans to go to Alaska in 2012.
Doing taxes comes easily for me,  I have a sixth sense about helping people with their taxes, pulling info out of them, asking them about things that pertain to their taxes that they didn't think about and didn't originally tell me about.  But, is this something that I should be doing forever? Should I try to get a part time "tax preparers job" when I am out roaming the country?  Will I ever stop doing taxes...............

I'm tired of thinking about it, and hope that once I am out of here, that the decisions will make themselves clearer to me.  I'm hoping that some freedom and open spaces will help me to see what my next step on this journey will be............

7 comments:

  1. So what if "they" don’t get it. Follow your own heart. If you want to taxes on the road, go for it. Leave tomorrow. Why not? Are you going to hang around waiting for the house to sell? If so, you may never leave. Who's hitting the road, you or them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be patient with yourself...you will figure it all out. As far as the taxes, I wouldn't try to decide what you will want to do next year - wait til next year and see how you feel then. If you want to do some taxes for people, fine - if you don't, then you don't have to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have always heard a change is as good as a rest & I have found that to be true many times. You need a new perspective on things. Best way to do that is to change your environment even if for only a couple weeks right now. Need to go from cold to hot, from rain & snow to sunshine. Got to give yourself a break from the fog of indecision.. You need to pick yourself up & dust yourself off Girl. No need to worry about the people who don't get it. They will always remain comfortable in the world your mind has already left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about that stuff right now. You just need to step out there and see how well you like it. If you miss your tax work, you can always go back to it.

    Travel Safe
    Dawn and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jump on into the pool! The water's just fine out here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teri,

    I feel your pain, I work on computers for a living and the one thing that happens everywhere I go is the person I'm talking to, be it on the train or in a store ends up spilling all of their computer problems on me as if I can cure everything in a conversation, for free of course.

    If I find out they're a mechanic I don't ask for free engine service, why do people insist on me helping them for free?

    After helping hundreds of people for free I no longer do it.

    In fact, this gives me a blog idea, not to steal your idea but it's a good one! You need to do what you think is best, if you're in a warm state when you begin your adventure and feel like doing taxes, there will be plenty who will pay, where ever you are. ;)

    Good luck!
    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing holding us back is health insurance and I am confidant we will figure something out for that, if we don't sell the house we will rent it and hopefully next winter be south someplace. Darn the torpedoes , full speed ahead. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Drake Tax Software

Overnight stays in these states:

Overnight stays in these states:
It is the sandstorm that shape the stone statues of the Desert. It is the struggles of Life that form a person's character ~ Native American Proverb