Remember that when you leave this Earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given, a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage. -St. Francis of Assisi

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Healthy Eating

I let myself get away from good healthy eating habits, and I think that is why I have not been feeling well. My resistance was low, and I have been spending alot of time in doctors offices with my Dad, around too many sick people and too many germs.

I am going to start today to get back to  healthy "green" eating. Mostly vegetarian with occasional meat. Avoiding bread, pasta and sugar.  I started eating "green" about 5 years ago, but when I get frustrated or tired or I'm rushing around, I go back to grabbing anything that does not need to be prepared.

I have read about "green smoothies" and enjoy making and drinking them. I have been lazy about it, they are not that difficult, a few minutes to wash and chop the ingredients.  Today, I checked out some websites and copied down a dozen recipes for green smoothies and will make one tonite (instead of eating bagels and canned soup and pudding).  It's no fun cooking for one person, but I think I can spend a few minutes to make something fresh and healthy. I want to avoid all processed foods.

A few minutes of work to improve my health is a good deal.

I don't want to spend the next 30 or 40 years visiting 7 different doctors and taking a dozen or more prescriptions like most of the seniors that I know. Nutrition is the only way I know to counteract this. I think all of the processed foods created in the 50's have created all of the health problems of today.

I don't want to sound preachy, but I have spent many, many years driving family and friends to many doctors appointments, and none of their health has been improved by the prescriptions.

Most of us know that we should eat better, but are tempted by all of the "fake foods" around us. I fell off the wagon, but I am getting back on a healthy eating plan starting right now.

5 comments:

  1. Stu and I got rid of processed foods a little over a year ago. The only canned goods we get are a few Progresso low sodium soups and canned tomato products. Everything else is fresh or frozen. We eat a lot of chicken and turkey, a little tuna and buffalo. Whole wheat pasta and bread only, high fiber cereals. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies.

    A year of this and Stu's blood sugar now stays in the low 90's or less and he's dropped 10# without changing any other eating habits.

    Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda liked that bagels & pudding route:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I am Way too much a junk food eater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you about the relationship between disease and nutrition. We are becoming a nation of franken-foods. And quite frankly, I feel the kids of today are guinea pigs and I fear for their future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teri,
    Great decision. I am in the process of deciding about meat vs. veggies too. We eat too much red meat. So I'm thinking that I'll try at least two vegetarian meals per week vs. meat at every meal. And I'll cut back to one or two at the most on red meat dinners. I'm trying to be realistic with myself and take it gradually. I need to lose weight and am doing so with increased exercise and decreased sugar and fat. Slow but sure. Good for you. You can do it! And thanks for coming by A Camp Host's Meanderings and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Drake Tax Software

Overnight stays in these states:

Overnight stays in these states:
It is the sandstorm that shape the stone statues of the Desert. It is the struggles of Life that form a person's character ~ Native American Proverb